What is U.S. Democracy Assistance?
- Thomas Carothers, Aiding Democracy Abroad: The Learning Curve, Carnegie, 1999.
- Larry Diamond, The Spirit of Democracy: The Struggle to Build Free Societies Throughout the World, St. Martin’s Press, 2009.
Reforming U.S. Democracy Assistance
- Sarah Bush, “Are We Repeating Democracy Promotion Mistakes in Tunisia?,” Foreign Policy, 09 July 2012.
- Sarah Bush, “Confront or Conform? Rethinking U.S. Democracy Assistance,” POMED, March 2013.
- Thomas Carothers, Confronting the Weakest Link: Aiding Political Parties in New Democracies, Carnegie, 2006.
- Thomas Carothers, Revitalizing Democracy Assistance: The Challenge of USAID, Carnegie, 2009.
- Michael Cecire and Melinda Haring, “Why the Color Revolutions Failed,” Foreign Policy, 18 March 2013.
- Michael A. Cohen and Maria Figueroa Küpçü, Revitalizing US Democracy Promotion: A Comprehensive Plan for Reform, New America Foundation, April 2009.
- Melinda Haring, “Reforming the Democracy Bureaucracy,” Foreign Policy, 03 June 2013.
- Melinda Haring, “Reforming the Democracy Bureaucracy,” Foreign Policy Research Institute E-Note, June 2013.
- Tom Melia, “The Democracy Bureaucracy,” American Interest, 01 June 2006.
- Tsveta Petrova, The New Role of Central and Eastern Europe in International Democracy Support, Carnegie, June 2011.
- Thomas Carothers, “The End of the Transition Paradigm,” Journal of Democracy, January 2002.
- Larry Diamond, Francis Fukuyama, Donald L. Horowitz, and Marc F. Plattner, “Reconsidering the ‘Transition Paradigm,” Journal of Democracy, January 2014.